Small pipe lot from a Facebook sale group

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggman

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I watch several local facebook sale/auction groups for pipes(of course), lighters, pocket knives, ham radio items, tube broadcast radios, shortwave receivers, and whatever else i think i need. So the other day a listing for three pipes and a pipe stand came up with a starting bid of 3 dollars. The pipes were a Carey magic inch, Weber 440 filtered smoke, and a Caminetto business. I eventually won the lot with an $18 bid. They are the dirtiest estate pipes i have ever purchased. They have been sitting for decades it looked like.

I’ve been working on the Caminetto today. Honestly, that’s the only reason i bought the lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4624.jpeg
    IMG_4624.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4623.jpeg
    IMG_4623.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4622.jpeg
    IMG_4622.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I watch several local facebook sale/auction groups for pipes(of course), lighters, pocket knives, ham radio items, tube broadcast radios, shortwave receivers, and whatever else i think i need. So the other day a listing for three pipes and a pipe stand came up with a starting bid of 3 dollars. The pipes were a Carey magic inch, Weber 440 filtered smoke, and a Caminetto business. I eventually won the lot with an $18 bid. They are the dirtiest estate pipes i have ever purchased. They have been sitting for decades it looked like.

I’ve been working on the Caminetto today. Honestly, that’s the only reason i bought the lot.
Good luck. I spent $18 today on a crappy bowl of ramen and a boba tea.

I'm guessing the Caminetto has a cracked shank? You won't really find a band on an old one unless it is damaged. Later on, they changed their tune and did some banding.

Zeno, the band is not tight at all. I have had it off twice while cleaning it. I’ll look closer and see if i see crack. Can you date a camenetto pipe?

Zeno, i was checking the band with a magnifying glass and noticed some numbers and such , but couldnt make them out. so i dug out a 8x jewlers loupe and it says 14K RG. and i can not find a crack anywhere on the shank

Zeno, i was checking the band with a magnifying glass and noticed some numbers and such , but couldnt make them out. so i dug out a 8x jewlers loupe and it says 14K RG. and i can not find a crack anywhere on the shank
That's good news. If I was taking Vegas odds, I'd go with that is owner preference and not original, but I could lose too. It's just not ever seen, at least from my memory, on basic Business pipes. Maybe in the Super Mustache line you might find some metalwork, but at that level, it wouldn't be a standard shape # either. They loved to gild the lily at the upper grades. Again, I could be wrong, and you could have a unique pipe on your hands.

You can date them by shape of the mustache and by the city dating. That looks to be post Ascorti/Radice stamping era. There was a different city dating stamp (not a different city, but a different font and format) directly after that era, and yours is after that. circa 1970 of 1971? I should have this stuff memorized, but I'm terrible with dates and names. I could never be a historian. I can't even read Greek philosophy because my brain scrambles all the names. Takes me an hour to read two pages. I digress. That pipe was obviously a favorite, or at least a great smoker for them, by the patina. Nice score. I happen to love their billiard interpretation with the tapered bowl.